Lesson 1 - 是 ('to be')

Before we proceed to learn the language, there are some important words you would have to know.
  1. 我 (wo3) - I, me
  2. 你 (ni3) - You
  3. 他 (ta1) - Him
  4. 她 (ta1) - Her
  5. 男生 (nan2 sheng1) - Boy
  6. 女生 (nv3 sheng1) - Girl
Now to lesson proper, to form your first sentence, 是 (shi4) is a word that you cannot be without. 
是, means 'to be', and corresponds to English as 'is', 'are', 'was', 'were' or 'am'.

Let's take a look at the following examples using the words you learnt earlier.
  1. 男生。 (wo3 shi4 nan2 sheng1) - I am a boy.
  2. 女生。 (ni3 shi4 nv3 sheng1) - You are a girl.
However,  unlike English, 是 cannot be used before a verb.
For example, 'I am running' does not correspond to 我 是 跑步. (wo3 shi4 pao3 bu4).

Let's learn more nouns.
  1. 学生 (xue2 sheng1) - Student
  2. 老师 (lao3 shi1) - Teacher 
  3. 医生 (yi1 sheng1) - Doctor
 And more examples:
  1. 老师。(wo3 shi4 lao3 shi1) - I am a teacher.
  2. 学生。(ni3 shi4 xue2 sheng1) - You are a student.
  3. 医生。 (ta1 shi4 yi1 sheng1) - She is a doctor.
  4. Alan。(wo3 shi4 Alan) - I am Alan.
  5. 林小丽。(ni3 shi4 lin2 xiao3 li4) - You are Xiao-Li Lin.
To negate the sentence, add 不(bu4) in front of 是(shi4). 
  1.  我 不是 女生。(wo3 bu4 shi4 nv3 sheng1) - I am not a girl.
Try to make some sample sentences and write them in the comments below!

No comments:

Post a Comment