Lesson 4 - Verbs: Negation

Recall that in the previous lesson you learnt how to use simple verbs.
In this lesson you will learn how to negate them.

For example, in the previous lesson you learnt that
饭 (wo3 chi1 fan4) means I eat rice.
To negate it into 'I do not eat rice', simply put either 不 (bu4) or 没 (mei2) in front of the verb.

What's the difference?
不 (bu4) is more declarative and more of expressing what you are not going to do. (for present or future)
没 (mei2) is more informative and more of expressing what you did not do. (for present or past)

For example,
  1. 不吃 饭。- I am not eating rice.
  2. 没吃 饭。- I did not eat rice.
More examples:
  1. 不看 电视。- I am not going to watch TV.
  2. 没看 电视。- I did not watch TV.
Try using the verbs and nouns learnt in Lesson 3 to form sample sentences!

No comments:

Post a Comment